Apr 2, 2007

"...should this even be a song?" #2

you know, i'm ok with this visions thing. in fact, it adds to his intrigue. hell, i'd believe whatever he told me. yeah, he's Christian, and so are his family/band members. Daniel writes that he is merely the middle man, a seer of visions of songs and messages from God. the same claim goes for his excellent folk artwork some of which adorns his albums, some of which is available to order...

the first time I heard the Danielson Famile was viewing the Danielson Famile movie at a film festival. someone told me Sufjan Stevens was in it--i'd heard one sufjan song. but this-- what the hell was this? Daniel Smith was intense, screaming lyrics about love and hope and faith and spiritual trials to sometimes crowded, sometimes receptive bar-goes. i didnt leave the movie singing his praises, but something stuck with me, possibly the sincerity. months later, I've purchased all phases of Daniel Smith's genius (Danielson Famile to Tri-Danielson to Brother Danielson--solo--to Danielson with the album "ships", which collects all the people he's worked with into one celebratory, collaborative yet still Danielson piece), and yes I am singing his praises. No, i don't completely agree with everything he's saying (a common sentiment among non-christian fans) but i can relate--to certain trails, struggles, etc.

what else can i say? I'm smitten. and I'm glad someone still believes we can all love each other.

interview.

No comments: